Tuesday 5 March 2013

Caring student runs marathon for little brother

A student from Newcastle-under-Lyme College (NULC) is running a half marathon in aide of a Cerebral Palsy charity.

Caring Leon Probert, aged 18 from Bradwell is an avid sportsman, already a member of the College’s award-winning Academy of Sport as well as studying a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport (Performance and Exercise).  Leon is running the Stafford Half Marathon on Sunday 17 March 2013 to raise funds for Cerebral Palsy charity, The Movement Centre.

Leon explains how the decision came about: “I was sat at home one evening with my mother, chatting about my little brother and his progress at school and suddenly I decided wanted to do something to reward them for the help they have given my little brother.”

Leon is very close to his younger brother and explains why the charity is close to his heart: “When my brother was aged one when he was diagnosed with meningitis septicemia, nystagmus and Ataxia, which means he has difficulties with seeing far away objects, speech problems and exercising for a long period of time. He was in hospital for over two months, his prognosis was bleak and the Doctors said he would never be able to run or ride a bike and as he got older he would eventually be in a wheelchair.”

“However, now aged 13 my brother has developed massively and is able to ride a bike with stabilizers when out with mum. He can take part in PE activities at school and also takes part in extra-curricular activities such as football outside of school.”

The Movement Centre is a registered charity that provides Targeted Training – a life changing therapy that develops functional skills required for head control and sitting and where possible standing and walking, in children with cerebral palsy and other problems of movement control.

Former Wolstanton High School pupil Leon, decided to run the half marathon because: “I want to give something back to the community for helping my brother as much as they have and would like to raise money for my chosen charity to give other children with similar disabilities the same opportunities that my brother has been given.”
 
Leon has spent months training for the half marathon, “I’ve been training hard, I go running three times a week and I’m also in the first team for the College’s Football Academy, so I have weekly training sessions with the College coaches and matches across the country against other Colleges.”

You can sponsor Leon by emailing him on leon.probert@nulcollege.ac.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment